LPN to RN Program Information
- Unconditional admission to the college. Application must be updated if student did not attend Bishop State during the previous semester/term.
- Original transcripts from all colleges attended must be on file and evaluated by the Admission Office prior to the nursing application deadline.
- A completed application for admission to nursing program received in the Nursing Office (Suite 210) before published deadline.
- A minimum of 18 ACT composite score National or Residual. ACT results must be attached to the application. There is no expiration date for the ACT score.
- A minimum of 2.5 GPA for nursing required academic core courses which are: ENG 101 , MTH 100 or higher, BIO 201 , BIO 202 , BIO 220 , PSY 210 , SPH 106 or SPH 107 , and a Humanities elective (MUS 101 , ART 100 , or PHY 206 suggested).
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA at current, native institution or cumulative 2.0 in institution from which student is transferring.
- A minimum of 2.5 GPA cumulative high school GPA for students without prior college courses (GED will be used if applicable).
- Eligibility for or completion of ENG 101 , MTH 100 or higher, and BIO 201 with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Good standing with College. A letter of good standing clearing from any legal, moral, or ethical issues, sent by the Dean or Director of Nursing (must be on official school letterhead) from any previously attended nursing program.
- Meeting the essential functions for nursing.
- Name on application is current legal name and matches copy of photo ID and name in Bishop State’s computer system.
- Current picture ID (driver’s license or student ID) attached to application.
- Mobility students are additionally required to provide proof of unencumbered, Alabama licensure (i.e. LPN, Paramedic). No work history is required. No associate degree is required for paramedics. Prerequisites required for Mobility program application: ENG 101 , MTH 100 or higher level math, BIO 201 & BIO 202 , SPH 106 or SPH 107 , and PSY 210 . NUR 209 is offered only in the fall semester.
- The required number of hours per week varies with each nursing course. The program is offered during the daytime with set meeting times. Courses are not scheduled around rotating shifts.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be maintained while in the nursing program.
Points for Selection
- *ACT score. There are 36 points possible. No time limit on when the ACT was taken.
- Points for grades in the following nursing required core general educational courses are as documented:
A = 3 points, B = 2 points, C = 1 point (Total possible=12)
English Composition I; Intermediate College Algebra; Anatomy & Physiology I; Anatomy & Physiology II
- One point each, for completion of Microbiology, Human Growth & Development, Fundamentals of Speech, and a Humanities elective (Art or Music Appreciation, Ethics, Religion or Literature) with a grade of C or higher (Total possible = 4) .
- Four points will be awarded for student having completed all eight required general education courses required in the program.
- One (1) point will be awarded to the student who has attended Bishop State for one semester.
- One (1) point will be awarded to the student who has attended Bishop State for two or more semesters.
- *Minimum 2.5 GPA required in the core general educational courses for the nursing program. Not all courses may have been completed at time of admission. Core general educational courses taken in high school as dual enrollment will be used in GPA calculation.
Associate degree nursing core courses: ENG 101 , MTH 100 , BIO 201 , BIO 202 , PSY 210 , SPH 106 or SPH 107 , BIO 220 , and a Humanities elective (MUS 101 , ART 100 , PHL 206 ).
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA at current, native institution or cumulative 2.0 GPA at institution from which student is transferring
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative high school GPA for students without prior college courses (GED as applicable)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be maintained while the student is enrolled in the nursing program.
A total of 58 points is possible with the above selection criteria.
||Maximal Possible Points
|English 101, Math 100, Biology 201, Biology 202
(12 points are possible, three points each)
|Microbiology, Human Growth & Development, Fundamentals of Speech, and a Humanities elective (Art or Music Appreciation, Philosophy, Ethics, Religion or foreign language) with a grade of C or higher.
(4 points are possible, one point each)
English 101, Math 100, Biology 201, Biology 202, Biology 220, Psychology 210, Speech 106 or 107, Humanities Elective
|1 semester in Nursing Learning Community
|2 semesters in Nursing Learning Community
|1 semester at Bishop State
|2 or more semesters at Bishop State
If there is tie in points in relation to the number of available spaces, then the higher cumulative GPA will be considered. High school students may obtain points for college courses through dual enrollment grades.