2019-2021 General Catalog and Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Career Mobility, AAS (CE)
LPN to RN Program Information
- Unconditional admission to the college. Application must be updated if you have not attended Bishop State in the previous semester.
- Original transcripts from ALL colleges attended must be in and evaluated by the Admission Office (Central Campus, Room 106) by the nursing application deadline.
- Receipt of completed application received in the Nursing Office by stated deadline.
- A minimum composite score of 18 on the ACT. Writing component not required. ACT results MUST be attached to the nursing application. There is NO expiration date for the ACT score.
- A minimum of 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale for the nursing required academic core courses (ENG 101 , MTH 100 or higher, BIO 201 , BIO 202 ).
- Good standing with the college (BSCC). Letter of good standing from any previous nursing programs that were not completed.
- Meeting the essential functions or technical standards required for nursing.
- Name on application is current legal name and matches copy of photo ID and name in Bishop State’s AS400.
- Current picture ID (driver’s license or Bishop State student ID only) attached to application.
- Verification of a current, unencumbered Alabama PN license (must be maintained while enrolled).
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be maintained while the student is in the Nursing Program.
If you have not graduated from the new state-wide concept based curriculum that was implemented Fall 2016, you will need to apply for Career Mobility that begins with NUR 209 . Upon successful completion of this course, you would then proceed to join the current curriculum in progress at the 4th semester.
LPN students who completed the Alabama Community College System concept based nursing curriculum within one academic year from the start of Mobility nursing courses are exempt from taking NUR 209 and will enter the program in NUR 211 .
The required number of hours per week varies with each nursing course. The program is a daytime course with set meeting times. Course times are not scheduled around rotating shifts. There are six general education course prerequisites as listed in the application.
Pre-Requisites: MTH 100 or higher level, ENG 101 , PSY 210 , BIO 201 & BIO 202 , SPH 106 or SPH 107
Deadline Date: June 1st for the Fall Semester
Revised June, 2017
Points for Selection
After meeting minimum admission requirements, applicants are rank ordered using the following point system:
- An ACT composite score with a minimum of 18 to apply. There are 36 total possible points. The writing component is not required or used for calculation. There is no time limit on when the exam was taken in order to be used. ACT results must be attached to the application.
- Points will be awarded for a passing grade of “C” or higher in English Composition I, Intermediate College Algebra (MTH 100 or higher), Anatomy and Physiology I, and/or Anatomy and Physiology II. A=3 points, B=2 points, C=1 point.
- Four points are possible, one point each, for completion of Microbiology, Human Growth & Development, Fundamentals of Speech, and a Humanities elective (Art or Music Appreciation,
- Heath Related Programs
- Philosophy, Ethics, Religion or foreign language) with a grade of C or higher.
- One point will be awarded for each semester in the Nursing Learning Community. Note: If the Learning Community is not active, 1 point will be awarded to the student who has attended Bishop State for more than one semester.
- One-half point (1/2) will be awarded for each semester the student has attended Bishop State (Total possible point = 1).
A total of 58 points is possible with the above selection criteria.
||Maximal Possible Points
|English 101, Math 100, Biology 201, Biology 202
(12 points are possible, three points each)
|Microbiology, Human Growth & Development, Fundamentals of Speech, and a Humanities elective (Art or Music Appreciation, Philosophy, Ethics, Religion or foreign language) with a grade of C or higher.
(4 points are possible, one point each)
English 101, Math 100, Biology 201, Biology 202, Biology 220, Psychology 210, Speech 106 or 107, Humanities Elective
|1 semester in Nursing Learning Community
|2 semesters in Nursing Learning Community
|1 semester at Bishop State
|2 or more semesters at Bishop State
If there is tie in points in relation to the number of available spaces, then the higher cumulative GPA will be considered. High school students may obtain points for college courses through dual enrollment grades.