Admission Requirements Checklist
Please check the following minimum admission criteria BEFORE submitting your application.
- Unconditional admission to the college. Application must be updated if student did not attend Bishop State the previous semester/term.
- Original transcripts from ALL colleges attended must be in and evaluated by the Admissions Office (Central Campus, Room 106) by the nursing application deadline.
- Receipt of completed application received in the Nursing Office, Suite 210, by the stated deadline.
- A minimum of 18 composite score on the ACT National or Residual. Residual only accepted if ACT taken at Bishop State. (Writing component not required). ACT results MUST be attached to this application. There is NO expiration date for the ACT score.
- A minimum of 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale for nursing required academic core courses which are ENG 101 , MTH 100 or higher, BIO 201 , and BIO 202 .
- A minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA required for high school students without prior college courses (GED will be acceptable).
- Eligibility for OR completion of ENG 101 , BIO 201 and MTH 100 - Intermediate College Algebra (or higher) with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Good standing with College (Bishop State). Letter of good standing clearing from any legal, moral or ethical issues, from the Dean or Director of Nursing (on official school letterhead) from any previously attended nursing program.
- Meeting the essential functions or technical standards required for nursing.
- Name on application is current legal name and matches copy of photo ID and name in Bishop State’s system.
- Current picture ID (driver’s license or student ID only) attached to application.
- If applying for the Career Mobility Program (LPN to RN), you must present evidence of a current, unencumbered Alabama LPN license.
- The required number of hours per week varies with each nursing course. The program is a daytime course with set meeting times. Course times are not scheduled around rotating shifts.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 must be maintained while the student is in the Nursing Program.
Deadline Date: June 1st for the Fall Semester
October 1st for the Spring Semester
Revised June 2017
Points for Selection
After meeting minimum admission requirements, applicants are rank ordered using the following point system:
- An ACT composite score with a minimum of 18 to apply. There are 36 total possible points. The writing component is not required or used for calculation. There is no time limit on when the exam was taken in order to be used. ACT results must be attached to the application.
- Points will be awarded for a passing grade of “C” or higher in English Composition I, Intermediate College Algebra ( MTH 100 or higher), Anatomy and Physiology I, and/or Anatomy and Physiology II. A=3 points, B=2 points, C=1 point.
- Four points are possible, one point each, for completion of Microbiology, Human Growth & Development, Fundamentals of Speech, and a Humanities elective (Art or Music Appreciation, Philosophy, Ethics, Religion or foreign language) with a grade of C or higher.
- Four points will be awarded for a passing grade of “C” or higher for Chemistry, Pre-Calculus, Finite Math or Statistics.
- One (1) point will be awarded for each semester in the Nursing Learning Community. (Total possible points = 2). Note: If the Learning Community is not active, 1 point will be awarded to the student who has attended Bishop State for more than one semester.
- One-half point (1/2) will be awarded for each semester the student has attended Bishop State. (Total possible point=1).
A total of 58 points is possible with the above selection criteria.
||Maximal Possible Points
|English 101, Math 100, Biology 201, Biology 202
(12 points are possible, three points each)
|Microbiology, Human Growth & Development, Fundamentals of Speech, and a Humanities elective (Art or Music Appreciation, Philosophy, Ethics, Religion or foreign language) with a grade of C or higher.
(4 points are possible, one point each)
|English 101, Math 100, Biology 201, Biology 202, Biology 220, Psychology 210, Speech 106 or 107, Humanities Elective
|1 semester in Nursing Learning Community
|2 semesters in Nursing Learning Community
|1 semester at Bishop State
|2 or more semesters at Bishop State
If there is tie in points in relation to the number of available spaces, then the higher cumulative GPA will be considered. High school students may obtain points for college courses through dual enrollment grades.